Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: what's up with Lee High?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    what's up with Lee High?

    I mean you take one of the old Pennington football teams and they would just whip Lee. Why is that? shouldn't you have the Pennington Gap kids plus all the other schools that were put together and have a really good team? do you think that might happen in Wise Co. when they consolidate? you would think PV & Appy would be a power house but could it backfire?
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member imported_Hugh_Jass's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what's up with Lee High?

    i've been told many times that there's a number of problems athletically at Lee. first many kids have to travel 45 minutes to an hour back and forth to practice. secondly pennington and jonesville still competes against each other in 8th grade sports. people claim that this prevents the varsity programs from growing and creates bitterness among teammates once they get to varsity age. thirdly and sadly is the drug problems of lee county as a whole.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Location
    Norton, Virginia, United States
    Posts
    7,249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what's up with Lee High?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
    i've been told many times that there's a number of problems athletically at Lee. first many kids have to travel 45 minutes to an hour back and forth to practice. secondly pennington and jonesville still competes against each other in 8th grade sports. people claim that this prevents the varsity programs from growing and creates bitterness among teammates once they get to varsity age. thirdly and sadly is the drug problems of lee county as a whole.
    JJK's 8th grade squad had a good little battle with Jonesville the other night. There are some athletes there no doubt. Lee always seems to have athletes,but never can put it together.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/signature.jpg[/IMG]
    Central Warriors. Respect the past,embrace the future

  4. #4
    Inactive Member PVVikings2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2006
    Posts
    501
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what's up with Lee High?

    I think things might have been better if say Dryden, Flatwoods and Keokee just combined with Jonesville and Pennington. Thomas Walker and Jonesville may even have gotten a look at consolidation if you look at it from that point. A new school in between Ewing and Jonesville makes a lot more sense on that end of the county and then have Pennington and whoever get together on the other end of the county. That is just my opinion. There are a lot of other problems out there that I for sure do not know about... but this is just the opinion of an outsider looking in on the situation.

    And I believe that Powell Valley and Appalachia would be a great school if consolidated... but for it to work like it really needs to..... I think you could do a little something like Harlan County High School did. When you first walk in to the school, they have a corridor strictly dedicated to the schools that now make up the new Harlan County High School. They have kept the traditions of the past (jerseys, helmets, some trophys, plaques, etc) of people and teams that came before them... as a reminder of the pride that all schools had before consolidation with a sign that says something like..."Remembering our pride and traditions of the past....." ........then you walk into the new part of the school and they have a new case built with a sign that says something like...."Being born into new pride and traditions of the future." And its just a subtle reminder to the students, parents and community as a whole that we arent forgetting where we came from......but we definitely know where we want to go in the future together... and I think that is pretty awesome. Its all about how you want to do things. If you choose to do it... you can do it.
    UNION HIGH SCHOOL BEARS - THE NEW ERA BEGINS

  5. #5
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what's up with Lee High?

    so really Lee High should have been 2 schools instead of combined into 1, along with TW there shold really be 3 HS's in Lee Co? I've heard horror stories a bout kids being on the bus for hours.
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member PVVikings2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2006
    Posts
    501
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what's up with Lee High?

    I'm not saying that there should have been... I just think that Lee County might have been better off consolidating Jonesville and Pennington with the other schools in the county. Academically...it might have been a better thing for bus rides and everything.

    Athletically... they were already pretty tough... plus... you'd have something like this.


    Clinch Mountain

    Jonesville* - possibly?... dont know what enrollment would be before consolidation... was in Cumberland before.

    Pennington* - possibly?... dont know what enrollment would be before consolidation..was in Cumberland before

    Virginia High
    John Battle
    Gate City
    Lebanon

    I think Jonesville and Pennington would fare pretty well in this district and in Region D as a whole.



    Cumberland District

    Coeburn
    Thomas Walker
    Twin Springs
    Ervinton
    Rye Cove
    Castlewood
    St. Paul


    LPD

    Powell Valley
    Appalachia
    Norton
    Wise
    Pound
    Clintwood


    Black Diamond

    Hurley
    Haysi
    Council
    Twin Valley
    Honaker
    UNION HIGH SCHOOL BEARS - THE NEW ERA BEGINS

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 3ydsandacloudofdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2009
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: what's up with Lee High?

    I've always wondered the same about Lee. Lots of success early but lately has fallen off a lot. I still feel like they have potential. I'm just rejoining the area from a football stand point, but when I played they were always quick and big. Seeing their team, this year they've dropped off a lot athletically. Graham is a good and I mean good as in above average back. Size is not great. Speed was lacking. I've been told by players and coaches that there is a lot of behind the scenes issues, but ultimately they need to get over the Pennington, Jonesville, etc. issues and realize they are a team and represent Lee County. Until they can do this...well they'll still be somewhere around average. Consistency in leadership also couldn't hurt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •